DHS Hosts Community Integration Town HallsWednesday, October 6, 2021
The Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS) has been meeting with Iowans to learn mroe about the gaps in the current Medicaid system. What they found are five common challenges - workforce, training, community provider capacity for specialty supports, data/information, and guardian reluctance. DHS now wants to move toward doing something about these challenges, so is starting a new round of town hall meetings to explain how they plan to use federal American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) dollars to will enhance and strengthen Iowa’s systems of community-based services and supports to both meet our needs today and prepare to meet future needs.
- Community Integration Town Hall meetings will be held in person across the state throughout October. There will also be two virtual options.
- All meetings are open to the public.
- Each town hall meeting will have the same format.
- Department staff will provide an overview of the strategic plan, a status update, talk about what’s ahead, and answer questions.
- The Department has invited advocates and other organizations to host and share personal stories at each respective town hall meeting.
- The Iowa DD Council is cohosting the first of these town hall meetings on Monday, October 11 & Upgrade Medicaid is hosting the final one on November 1 (both virtual).
- You can read more about DHS plans for ARPA spending here.
The town hall meetings, and hosts, are as follows. All meetings will be from 4:00 to 6:00 PM.
Monday, October 11, 2021
VIRTUAL meeting hosted by the Iowa Developmental Disabilities Council.
Tuesday, October 12, 2021
In-person meeting at Polk County River Place, 2309 Euclid Ave., Des Moines; Hosted by Iowa Association of Community Providers.
Monday, October 18, 2021
In-person meeting at Cedar Rapids Public Library, 450 5th Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids; Hosted by The ARC of Iowa.
Tuesday, October 26, 2021
In-person meeting at Iowa Western Community College, 2700 College Rd., Council Bluffs; Hosted by the Glenwood Resource Center.
Wednesday, October 27, 2021
In-person meeting at Hawkeye Community College, 1501 E Orange Rd., Waterloo; Hosted by Money Follows the Person.
Monday, November 1, 2021
VIRTUAL meeting hosted by Upgrade Medicaid.
Those interested in attending the in-person town hall meeting in their area and/or one of the virtual meetings can register online here.
Registration is not required but is encouraged to provide Department staff expected attendance.
Login information will be shared with those signed up for virtual meetings the day of the event.
All meetings will be recorded and posted on the DHS website.
If you have questions, please contact IME Provider Services at 1-800-338-7909 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leave Your Comments
We welcome your comments. Please leave your ideas and opinions below.